My Favourite Window

September 26, 2012

Lucky 13

A pink and blue Dawn and Kitty knows it was especially for her. My youngest child becomes a teenager today, as my eldest steps into the sky on a red-eye flight to Wellington: soaring away to possible futures.  We cross the Ashley Bridge at 6.20 am and marvel as the sun casts low shadows off greywacke pebbles and marches the bridge, on long, long legs, towards the mountains. Surreal. Kitty sits with her sister in the back of the van, opening her presents and reading the labels out for me. There are squeals of delight. What a relief.

And then Bryony is gone; gone too quickly - without a proper goodbye - for three days of work experience in the textile and costume department of our national museum.

Kitty and I breakfast in the airport on pain au chocolat and coffee, and are back in time for school at 8.30. It feels like a full day already. But of course there are more treats, messages, friends and gestures of celebration...



including a visit to see Grandma.

"This is the best birthday I've ever had", says Kitty.
I'm sure she has said that before, but the highlights of a day seem to take on special significance when it's your birthday and there were plenty of highlights for Kitty today.





12 comments:

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Not only a birthday, but a special birthday becoming a teenager. I remember how important I felt becoming one...oh to have those days returned. Ha..bittersweet memories.

rusty duck said...

A (Belated) Happy Birthday, Kitty.

Yes, to be starting out again. How much I would do differently.

Geo. said...

Beautiful post. It will soon be 50 years since I turned 13. If I knew then what I know now, I could have done it in half that.

libby said...

What a beautiful picture...two lovely ladies.
Happy birth-day to you...and happy birthday to your girl.

Susan Heather said...

Happy birthday to Kitty - just love the photo of her with Grandma.

Cro Magnon said...

And a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY from France too.

Jeneane said...

You are all so lovely. I've passed on your wishes to Kitty. Yes there's a lot of water under the bridge for most most of us since we were thirteen. Even more so for Grandma!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Good morning ! The Bluebird havinga feast at the Sunflower buffet is a Bluejay, the Red one hop bopping around on the ground is a Cardinal. Was sorry I wasn't quick enough to capture a photo of the hummingbird (it must have been having a last supper before heading South, ha!). I was just going to send you off an email this morning thanking you for the book, it is lovely. I had been so exhausted yesterday by the end I could barely keep my eyes open, so sorry for the delay in thanks. "Just Me"

John Going Gently said...

what a delightful photo
she looks mischevious

Jeneane said...

Cindy@NW : Thanks for the bird identification and glad you're enjoying your Latitude magazine.
Yep, got your email :-)

John Gray: You are talking about my mother, right?

Claire said...

Many belated birthday greetings - what a beautiful photo - kitty looks just like you xx

Jeneane said...

Thank you Claire. She's nearly as tall as me too now, and we both can see the similarity in our faces, not to mention posture :- { Bryony jokingly says she can't tell us apart.